The changing of the seasons is a fabulous time to do a detox – I personally choose to cleanse my body with a whole foods detox program four times a year. A detox isn't as scary as it sounds and it certainly isn't just about juicing! Once I added essential oils into my own detox program I realised how powerful and restorative this process could be. I'm often asked which essential oils should be used during a detox, so here they are!
Essential oils to support YOUR physical detox:
- Lemon naturally cleanses the body and aids in digestion. It also supports healthy respiratory functioning and can be used in a diffuser to promote a positive mood.
- Zendocrine supports healthy liver, lung, kidney, colon, and skin functions. Add one to two drops of Zendocrine to citrus drinks, tea, or water to support healthy liver function.
- Lavender is widely used for its calming and relaxing qualities. Add a few drops of Lavender onto your pillows or bedding, or to the bottom of feet for a restful night’s sleep.
- Grapefruit can be diffused and used while dieting or trying to lose weight to increase motivation. Add one to two drops to your water to support a healthy metabolism.
- OnGuard is an effective alternative to synthetic options for supporting your immune system. Diffuse it for cleansing the air or add two to three drops in a veggie capsule for a quick immune boost. It supports the body’s natural antioxidant defences.
- Peppermint can be rubbed onto temples after you wake up for a morning energy boost. Diffuse a few drops when feeling fatigued or low on energy. Take one to two drops in a veggie capsule to alleviate occasional stomach upset. It also promotes digestive health.
- Oregano supports healthy digestion and may help to support a healthy immune system, as well as healthy respiratory function.
- Lemongrass can be combined with Peppermint in a capsule to support healthy gastrointestinal functions and maintain healthy digestion.
- Smart & Sassy is a pleasant blend of grapefruit, lemon, peppermint, ginger and cinnamon essential oils, formulated to help manage hunger, calm your stomach and lift your mood.
- DigestZen can be added to water or tea to maintain a healthy gastrointestinal tract. It eases feelings of queasiness and can also be used with fractionated coconut oil for a soothing abdominal massage. The oil helps reduce bloating, gas, and occasional indigestion.
Essential oils to support your emotions during a detox:
- Wild Orange is cold-pressed from the orange peel, and is excellent for energising and revitalising. It is also commonly used as an effective method for uplifting people's moods.
- Citrus Bliss is a unique and harmonious blend that combines the powerful essences of wild orange, lemon, grapefruit, mandarin, bergamot, tangerine, and clementine, with a hint of vanilla. With benefits that extend beyond elevating your mood and reducing stress, Citrus Bliss has natural, potent compounds with cleansing properties.
- Elevation is the perfect blend for those moments when you need to be revitalised. Diffuse Elevation to promote feelings of confidence and self-worth.
- Balance has a warm, woody aroma and is doTERRA’s grounding blend. It creates a sense of calm and well-being.
- Lavender Peace is a blend composed of individual oils with known calming properties, which create a sense of well-being and relaxation. Lavender, sweet marjoram, roman chamomile, ylang ylang, sandalwood and vanilla bean create a subtle aroma ideal for aromatic diffusion or topical application.
- In Tune is a proprietary blend of amyris, patchouli, frankincense, lime, ylang ylang, sandalwood, and Roman chamomile essential oils, carefully selected for their ability to enhance focus and support healthy thought processes. This blend helps those who have difficulty paying attention to stay on task and sustain focus.
As you can see, there are many different ways that you can use essential oils to support your body and emotions during a detox. These oils support the process of bringing the body back to earth, back to centre, and are sure to enhance your detox experience.
Important note: Please only use pure and therapeutic grade essential oils when applying them topically or taking internally. Click here to find out more about the essential detox program and the essential oils that I recommend.